In honor of Mr. Jackie Robinson, the first African American major league baseball player. Debut, April 15, 1947 with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Robinson was also known for his pursuits outside the baseball diamond. He was the first black television analyst in MLB, and the first black vice-president of a major American corporation. In the 1960s, he helped establish the Freedom National Bank, an African-American-owned financial institution based in Harlem, New York. In recognition of his achievements on and off the field, Robinson was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. (source Wikipedia.com)
- Official website: http://www.jackierobinson.com/
- MLB website: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/jrd/
- Jackie Robinson Foundation: http://www.jackierobinson.org/
- Biography: http://www.biography.com/people/jackie-robinson-9460813
- 42 (film) Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_%28film%29
Jackie Robinson in Brooklyn Dodgers uniform, swinging bat
Photo credit: LOOK Magazine Photograph Collection, Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, [Reproduction number e.g., LC-L9-60-8812, frame 8].